Welcome to the Market House, home to the Lebanon Farmers Market. The
long and varied history of this location precedes even the construction
of the Market House in 1892. This was the site of the former Lebanon
County Jail that will be forever connected with the story of the Blue
In the 1870's the small town of Lebanon made national news with the
infamous murder case of the Blue Eyed Six. This famous trial lasted for
nearly 6 months and ended with the courtyard hanging of five of the Blue
Eyed Six on this very property. Fire destroyed the structure just a few
After the fiery destruction of the Lebanon County Jail, construction
began on the Market House. In 1892 after nearly a two-year construction
process the Lebanon Farmers Market was dedicated. Lebanon's new market
place was the place to be and be seen with all the ingredients for your
favorite weekly meals. Chickens, fresh produce, eggs, beef and milk were
easily available and farm fresh at the Lebanon Market since it was one
of the first places in Lebanon County to offer cold storage and
In addition to the farmers market, the Market House has been occupied
by a varied tenant list over the years. From the Lebanon Family Theatre
featuring almost daily Vaudeville performances in the early days to
being the home of the Crestview Secretarial School in the 1950s, the
Market House has been home to many. But its longest tenant was the S.
Kantor Sewing Company that operated in the building from the 1930s until
just a few years ago. Lebanon had over 60 sewing factories at one time,
but the S. Kantor Company remained strong despite foreign competition
and still operates today in another location. Over the years, the S.
Kantor Company was responsible for over 10,000 Lebanon jobs and is one
of Lebanon's only remaining sewing companies. Other tenants have
included Parry Printing and the Lebanon Stamp and Coin.
The Farmers Market operated continuously at this location until the
mid 1960s when it closed due to expansion of the sewing factory. In
2003, Lebanon Landmarks, Inc. owned by Bill Kolovani purchased the
Market House as part of a downtown revitalization plan. In 2010, Lebanon
Farmers Market LLC purchased the historic building from M&T bank.
The Farmers Market has returned to its original home in the
beautifully restored Market House that is once again the place to see
and be seen.